Friday, October 9, 2009

Diana Gabaldon


It's a few days late, but here, as promised, is my account of the book signing with Diana Gabaldon.
The book signing took place on 1, October, 2009 at the Har Mar Mall in Roseville, MN. Keep in mind that this lady is hands down, my absolute favorite author. In fact, I quite obsessively read and re-read her books. The characters are so vivid and life-like. If you have never read her books, please, take the time to do so.
My husband says they are full of smut...NOT TRUE. If he or any other person would take the time to read them, they would indeed figure out why they rest in the fiction section rather than romance. I have in fact gained some pieces of historical knowledge from her books. She takes the time to research, and intersperses history, romance, sci-fi, fiction, and just about any category you can imagine into her novels.
My picture, though treasured, is very badly representing of me. It had rained all day, and my hair has absolutely no resistance to humidity. Oh, well, I'm quite sure that Ms. Gabaldon doesn't remember every single face she encounters. But I will definitely remember her.
I will type from my journal my account of the signing, and add anything I happen to think of along the way.
1-October-2009
I am at the Har Mar Mall in Roseville, awaiting my turn in line to have a book signed and photo with my favorite author, Diana Gabaldon. She spoke before signing, and she seems to be quite a character. She also talks as she writes, with much wit and humor. You simply cannot believe the number of people here. So packed. I've never heard a bookseller so noisy. Much more like a high school cafeteria than a book store. Well, it is 8:56 p.m. and I am #278 in line to be signed. It took just over 1/2 an hour for the first 90.

They announced that people had been there since 2:00 that afternoon to obtain a seated place. I, not arriving until about 6:50, had to stand several book aisles back and stare at a box titled "Vampire Tarot" of all things. When I got my number, at the bottom of the slip, it says:
Diana Gabaldon
An Echo In The Bone
At
Barnes & Noble
Roseville
Thursday, October 1
7:00 PM
Books for those with babies or physical disabilities
will be signed before any numbers are called.
This is your place in line to have a book signed 287
This does NOT guarantee seating. Space is limited and
seating is on a first come first served basis.
Well, crap. I walked in without my crutches, thinking they would have been burdensome to me and others. There goes chance number one to get in and out. My husband graciously took both of the kids, so I could enjoy this opportunity. No cell phone to call him and tell him to bring one back to me. Chance two blown away by my trying to be courteous to other people and the author. Once it actually started, I couldn't have asked for crutches or kid. Needless to say, it was after 10:00 p.m. by the time we went back to the hotel.
Everyone has asked me how it was....everything I did, and didn't expect. The lady herself, was shorter than I am. I don't know if I expected her to be larger than life or what, but it took me off guard. I wished I could have seen her while she was speaking. The number of people was astonishing, but not surprising, if that makes any sense. When your number was called, you filed through a taped out maze on the floor. They came, spelled your name on a sticky note. When you got to the front of the line, some one took the book, flipped it open the title page, some one else took your camera, she signed, looked up briefly to snap your picture, handed your book back, and off you went. A bit impersonal. Well, self reflection says, this is not the first signing she has done for this book. The book being released eight days prior to this event. I think even if it were my first book signing, by the time I hit number 278, with typically 2 signatures each, I wouldn't be very personal and chatty either. My guess is that if I had been her, I would be thinking "Okay, I have heard it all, 7 books before this one, my hand hurts, I'm tired, I will be hearing all of this again in a day or two, snap the damn picture and get out of here! Oh, and thank you for your loyalty and support of my career. Buh-bye now."
I did enjoy it, and will always treasure it. My initial thoughts are that I would not do this again, but who knows.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home