Thursday, July 15, 2010

School, the Fair, and the Sketchbook

First off, as promised, I am posting a picture of an upcycled dress into a clothes pin bag. I loved this dress when it fit Layla, and thought it would be perfect for its new purpose. The background is obviously my back yard, and looks west. Lots of pretty trees in the neighborhood! With the post of the laundry, I wanted to post a link for making your own laundry soap. This is to a blog called The Simple Dollar. I can honestly tell you, I will NEVER buy commercial or traditional laundry soap again. Not only is it cost effective, but it works, and works well. It smells as good as the soap you normally buy, maybe better, depending. I do not use any softener now either. Once in a while a dryer sheet, if I am using the dryer and remember, but usually not. I am so impressed with this DIY detergent, that I am considering making batches for Christmas gifts and making special tags for the soap. You should try it. Really read all comments that are attached to the post, there are the normal responses, good, bad, and indifferent. But me, I am an advocate of stretching my dollar, and do believe this is better for the environment. Plus, my clothes have never felt better in my hands, or on my body! Now the link, (finally, I know).
http://thesimpledollar.com/2008/04/09/making-your-own-laundry-detergent-a-detailed-visual-guide/

Above is a page in the Sketchbook. The seahorse is cut from a page out of a color book that my mom bought for the kids. The background is a bunch of bill envelopes torn up and then collaged on to the double page spread. Then I used my new stencil and did the shell patterns with an ink pad. Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Black Soot to be exact. Then I put a layer of elmers glue (I know, all the acid will eat it...but seriously, I have stuff from grade school that I know we used elmers on, and it is still fine, and it is going on vintage age). The glue made a great surface to accept my home made alcohol ink on. Still not ready to dive into talking about that process. So next was the blue and green alcohol ink, and when that was dry, I added the distressed seahorse. I like it, I think it turned out pretty. I guess something good can come out of bills...hmmm.

Next is Alice in Winterland...The only reason I used Alice was because her dress was blue and seemed to fit the page. It is a mix of wintry greys and blues with a snowflake shaped brad used to make the design on the page. The blue and grey paints are mixed with a pearlescent medium to make it look icy, but that never comes through on a scan. Maybe I should start taking pictures instead of scanning.
School started and I am back in the swing I guess. I should be writing this weeks papers instead of blogging, but I am tired and need a break and don't care to be washing dishes at the moment. I have two big papers due at the end of the quarter. One for psychology and one for anatomy. I am excited to do both. I like the effort and challenge that both will present to me.
Yesterday, I spent ten hours sitting at the Morrison County Fair, attending my Scentsy booth. The day started off with some nasty weather. I am afraid of storms, so I was quite anxious during the early afternoon hours. By night time, the American Legion Bingo was underway. I had to laugh because one gentleman of "younger" years didn't get heard when he said bingo, so he stood up and yelled "HEY" in a gravely voice. I thought "Give 'em hell, buddy!" Still chuckling. Interestingly enough one of the vendors across from me was a guy running for senate. I must say, he will not get my vote. Surprisingly enough, not for political reasons either. He spoke with my husband and the other three vendors in the building, but really not to me. When it was time to go, I was the last one there, and he did not offer one bit of help, or to walk me to get my car or nothing. Very disappointed. I feel that if you are going to highlight bringing back America to what it was, and all of that, the first thing you should do is support your neighbor and ensure their safety. The last thing that he said to me was that he forgot his cooler and he was not a night person, and walked out the door. I hated to say it, but before I could keep my mouth shut, I muttered that that was a politician for you. I have lots of controversial things I would like to ask him about. And, not just this guy, but there was a Congressman that came in the building I was in and talked to each of the four vendors but me. I don't know if I have a growth coming out of my head or what, but when I find out his name, I will not vote for him based on the fact that he did not stop at my booth and he did at all the other four. Maybe this is a bit snooty on my part, but I feel that if you are trying to make a better society, then you need to involve all of the society, not just the ones without something growing out of their heads. Enough politics. This is why I don't like to discuss them. I think though I may discuss this with my communications instructor, because he is political and likes a debate. Not sure when I will be posting again, but until then, please, take care.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home